Wilton 5 layer cake kit results


This last Christmas I received Wilton's Easy Layers Cake Pan Set.  It is a 5 layer cake mix set!  My brother knows I love to bake so this was a great gift to receive from him.

This past Tuesday we had an Ice Day at my school, so no work for me!  I decided to give this cake pan set a try. * I found a few videos on you tube, but not enough to know much about it.

So I just used a Betty Crocker white cake mix.  There are recipes that came with the set, but I chose the easy way since it is called Easy Layers!  

The directions say that if you are using a cake mix that you will put approximately 3/4 cups of batter into each greased pan.  It ended up being 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons into each pan.  I greased my pans with Crisco Butter Flavor shortening.  

Below are photos of the process I went through.


After mixing the batter, I measured out 5 bowls with 4/3 cup and 2 tablespoons of cake batter.



I added my food coloring to each bowl of batter.



I baked the cakes at 350 for 12 to 15 minutes.



This is how they looked after baking.  Not bad.






The release wasn't so good.  Each layer stuck,somewhat, even though I had greased the layers.
This is said to be a "non-stick" cake pan set.   I've been baking cakes for years and I have
never had a cake stick so badly in a greased pan.

So, on to the decorating part of this adventure.  I used a Marshmallow Buttercream Frosting.  I needed some part of this cake to be from scratch.








I had to do a crumb coat due to most of my layers having to be pieces together a bit due to sticking in the pans.  

This is the final result.


The colors came out very nicely.  It's hard to see the frosting in between.



It had slight "Leaning Tower of Pisa" syndrome.







Not so bad.  My bottom layer was the worst with sticking, as you can see.

I hope you enjoyed this demonstration.  

*I am in no way affiliated with Wilton.com or Wilton products.  I am not being paid for this demonstration.



Comments